If you run an SME in Spain, you will have heard the expression «business sustainability«.
Discover in this post what does the relationship between SMEs and the environment mean? What needs to be done to reduce environmental impact? And how can you save costs if you carry out measures to reduce the environmental impact of your SME?
What does the relationship between SMEs and the environment mean?
Business sustainability is the balance between: employees, planet and economic benefits.
If your SME takes measures to reduce the environmental impact of its operations. The contribution will be reflected in cost savings, reduction of CO₂ emissions. And the construction of a sustainable or green image that can contribute to business success.
What measures can reduce the environmental impact of your SME?
All SME activities can achieve business sustainability. we give you one brief idea of measures to reduce the environmental impact of your business.
Good practices for teleworking
Teleworking has been born as the new way to survive economically during the crisis generated by Covid-19.
The pandemic prevention measures have meant that each employee's home is now their office. In this new context, SMEs have been forced to change their business model.
Implement measures to reduce the environmental impact of teleworking:
- The company must play an active role in adapting and improving the remote work space and in reducing its environmental impact.
- The Computer equipment with energy saving and quality labels provided to the teleworker offers great advantages for the productivity and health of workers. Also, it is important to educate employees on how to activate the energy saving systems of their equipment.
- The teleworkers with good environmental practices mean a significant reduction in personal ecological footprint.
Good practices in transport
Sustainability and measures to reduce the environmental impact in transport help to reduce C02 emissions from your business.
- The displacements Daily obligations can be done with alternatives such as: the use of public transport, bicycles or electric bikes and scooters. Also, salespeople who work visiting customers can use electric cars.
- Allow your employees to work from home, not only will your work-life balance improve, but you will no longer have to commute. Encouraging teleworking and videoconferencing help reduce environmental impact.
Good practices in purchasing and production
With the pandemic, 2 new concepts have gained importance: the km consumption 0 or closeness and the increase of the online shopping. For this reason, it is important to carry out these measures to reduce the environmental impact of your SME's orders.
- Minimize packaging and packaging. In addition to promoting circular economy among customers, encouraging the final recipient to give it a second life or deposit it in the appropriate container.
- Close and sustainable suppliers. Trying to work with green suppliers, who care about minimizing their negative impact on the environment. Likewise, it is possible to identify the closest suppliers to buy local and local merchandise.
These are good measures to reduce the environmental impact and can translate into a great improvement of the corporate image of the company.
Choose renewable energy
The survival of many companies depends to a large extent on their ability to adapt to changes and on find new ways to save costs through sustainability.
The relationship between SMEs and the environment shows that you can save your company from energy dependency, financing self-consumption. Through leasing or renting for renewable energy projects such as solar panels.
With measures to reduce environmental impact and through renewable energy, your SME will be more independent and will mean a big difference in your energy costs.
Be the first to choose renewable energy to reduce the environmental impact of your SME's activity with the best alternative financing options.
contact us and talk to one of our financial advisors today to achieve professional and business success.
Bibliography: 2021. Guide to good practices for SMEs and the self-employed. [ebook] vidasostenible.org. Available at: